Monday, June 14, 2010

Getting real...

This week I was reading Stephanie Howell's blog (this post in particular) and it was like a breath of fresh air. I've often felt the need to sensor myself and separate my scrappy self from the real me.  You never quite know who is reading your blog afterall.  So, in an effort to show that we don't all live in a perfect world, here's a few home truths...
  1. Three years ago I lost 40 kg which was awesome and I was looking totally hot. Since then, I've put on 50kg!! Not happy.  Hence the reason you will very rarely see a full body shot of me, and one of the reasons I didn't go to my high school reunion...I just couldn't face it.
  2. Weight has been an issue for all of my teen/adult life. I am an emotional eater and I need to stop being the victim and figure out / move on from what I am "feeding". Watching "Ruby" every week has helped immensely. I'm so glad she's telling her story. I feel like I'm wasting my 30's being so overweight. The fashion out there is so nice and I want a part of it.  I have no idea what my style is because there are only a few shops around here that cater to my size, so my style is what I can find to fit me iykwim. Hopefully soon that'll change. Watch this space...
  3. I am painfully shy and tend to go about things quietly. I am not one to burst into a room and announce my presence. If you happen to see me at a scrap event, come and say hi because once I get going, I love having a chat! lol.
  4. I often doubt my abilities and feel that my work isn't good enough...and I'm always amazed, surprised and happy when my work is picked up for publication, or someone leaves a comment saying that I've inspired them in some way.
  5. I'm terrified that my business is not going to be successful. I figure if I love the products I've put together, then there's bound to be someone else out there who loves it too. I haven't set myself a golden number of kits I want to sell and will increase numbers when I'm ready.
  6. I was diagnosed with severe depression almost 18 months ago (although its been much longer than that) and have been taking the "yippee" pills ever since. They help. Talking to counselors has also helped, but ultimately I know its up to me. I'm just not ready.  The good days are outnumbering the bad.
  7. I love being a mum, but sometimes I need more. I have never wanted to be a stay at home mum. I crave adult conversation too much...and would definitely spend way too much shopping if I were.
  8. When my hubby is away for work, I flounder. Andrew is totally my rock.  Sensible Capricorn and highly emotional Pisces...the perfect compliment. He puts up with a lot of foolishness on my part.
  9. My house is currently a disorganised, chaotic space worthy of a place on "Clean House". I am not attached to my clutter at all, but I haven't got the energy to deal with it.  If Niecy Nash knocked on my door tomorrow, I would greet her with the biggest hug. I hate having people "drop over"...I need a few hours notice. At the very least, I need to shut my bedroom door to hide the "floordrobe".
  10. I spend way too much time on the computer...don't we all? I like it when we go away somewhere that doesn't have access to the internet. The sad thing is, I look at the same sites out there all the time. lol.
There you have it. A little bit about me.  Do yourself a favour and get real too. Its cheaper than therapy! lol.  Thanks for dropping by.

Cheers, Lis.

17 comments:

Paula said...

OMG...it's like you are talking about me!!! Hehe I can relate to more than half of your list here...good on you for getting real!
I thank you for your honesty ;)

Natalie said...

I hear ya babe..... actually ... I could have written it myself!

Unknown said...

hey lisa,
its so nice to see you are so honest, with yourself and others. You are a real inspiration to me and a really good friend to many!! Don't ever doubt that you will succeed with what ever you do!!
cheers Ney xoxo

Dorrie said...

hi lisa..
you don't know me.. but i read your blog often and see what you are up too...
i read the same blog post from stephanie howell and revealed my truths on my blog as well...
you are brave.. and you are very talented.. it's amazing what people see and we don't...
i love the "floordrobe".. that made me giggle...
perfection is perposterous...it's nice to know that there are other normal people in the world...
take care of yourself.. andjust keep doing what you are doing..
you are an inspiration to many!

Dorrie

Belynda-Lee said...

Hi hun..That was a really good read and an insight to who you are. I can relate to alot of things on your list too. Thanks for sharing. One thing though..dont ever doubt yourself..Your scrappin is lovely and I'm sure your buisness will succeed. xxx

Star Rork said...

lol, I loved your honesty....I think we all can find ourselves in there somewhere! btw my hubbys name is Andrew 2!

naomi cox said...

Hey Lis,

Congratulations on your coming out and admitting that we aren't all perfect. I carrry around all the same baggage as te person next to me sometimes a little more....but the only way to move forward is to admit it deal with the response and slowly creep back to being the person you know you can be...

I have no doubt you will be a huge success Lisa and if you need any advice on what not to do...hehehehhe please give me a call anytime would love to help in any way I could.
GO GIRL POWER.. you rock in so many ways
love naomi x

Ebony van der Starre said...

Bravo! Loved your honesty! I can relate to a few things on your list.I doubt myself all of the time! I never see the good things about myself.Your business will rock!You are an inspiration to many.....loved the floordrobe comment!!!I help my sister who suffers severe depression and its an awful misunderstood illness. Good luck with everything!

Julie Bonner said...

I can relate to so many things you've stated - I read Stephanie's post as well & really enjoyed the honesty she shared - I have been thinking of what I might say in my own post . . . best of luck with your new kit club adventure - can't wait for the reveal on July 1st - I'm sure it will be fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Who cares about your weight? Your beautiful face and your kind heart make up for it all. Not to mention the matching shoes and earrings and jewels. Be happy for who you are and what you have. Anne

KylieN said...

Lisa, there are things here that I never would have guessed about you, and I thank you for being brave enough to put up such an honest post. Despite all the blog posts and scrapping pages we see out there depicting the "perfect" life, nobody is perfect and I’m sure everyone can relate to something you’ve listed. You’ve accomplished so much already, and I know you can succeed in anything you set your mind to :) .

Nicole said...

Hey Lis

Love this post. Your an amazing women

xx

Anonymous said...

WOW - Lisa. I am so with you on almost ALL of this, including the school reunion (I didn't attend for the same reason). Life is hard and I totally understand where you are coming from. I can realte to every word of this and feel exactly the same in so many ways. You are an amazing person and a very brave woman and I bet you feel so much better since writing this. I will catch up with you this weekend if you are still going to the scrapbook weekend - look forward to it.

Janelle Taylor

CreativeMe68 said...

WOW Lisa...I have been a follower of your blog for a long while now, I often don't comment cause it just feels strange that I am commenting when we don't know each other.

Thank you for pouring your heart out, You go girl! Like many of these girls here I too don't express how I am thinking most of the time. Most of the time I am this happy smiling girl on the outside but on the inside I am struggling with everyday issues. I too have battled with my depression from time to time and yes those yippee pills really help.

I am very critical of my own scrapping abilities, always doubting myself....
BUT I am telling you your scrapping is absolutely gorgeous and I am sure that you business will be truly successful. Thank you for your honesty. Luv Shaz xoxo

Wendy Smith said...

Hi Lisa,
Reading your post made me realise we are one in the same. I too lost a heap of weight (33kg) and then put it back on and then some. I too am havnig treatment for depression, and love my 'happy' pills....cannot get through a day without them.
The one thing I am not is shy....so that always works well when you meet someone who is.

thanks for sharing your story

Sharon C said...

Hi Lisa, I have just discovered your blog through a friend and I love your work. I have never commented on someones blog before but was so touched by your Getting Real blog that I felt the need to comment. You are very talented and your are also very beautiful. It appears that as women no matter how beautiful we are or how successful we are we always doubt ourselves because of a medie driven idea about how much we should weigh. You are lucky that you are blessed with a husband and children that love you. You have such a beautiful face and a special talent to express yourself that you shouldn't sweat the rest. We all have those issues. Your weight doesn't determine who you are. Looking forward to being a regular follower of your blog.

Moonie said...

Nice to know you are human just like us Lisa... I had or still have depression. I got it 7 years ago after giving birth to my son. My daughter is 19 and I had never experienced D ever before. But yes I have an absolutely awesome life, kids, family, husband, business, hobby, friends but sadly I have a chemical imbalance. But luckily I have it under control with one effexor tablet each morning. And as for your weight... just the shittiest thing in our lives aye.. Im hearing you girl xx keep smiling because you look like you have a gorgeous heart!!

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...