Monday, April 29, 2013

Dreaming of a Hamptons-style kitchen

We have so many projects going on at home at the moment, yet there's one space I cannot get out of my mind! The kitchen. It's supposedly the heart of the home, however my heart just isn't in it any more. I loathe that space, and I spend as little time as possible in there! The drawer fronts are falling off. The cupboard doors are coming off their hinges, and the vinyl coating is starting to peel. Sadly, our kitchen is only 12 years old and I have been waiting and waiting for an appropriate amount of time to pass before ripping it out and starting again! I am absolutely in love with Hamptons styling...a clean design look with a nod to country and the beach. Light and airy with touches of vintage and modern. LOVE I tell you. My "dream kitchen" pinterest board is growing day by day, with beautiful images of desirable kitchens such as this one...
I dream of a white Butlers/Belfast sink...wide enough to fit the largest of baking dishes with ease. Let's not forget the kitchen jewellery...the stunning tapware! On the list...
White subway tiles never go out of fashion, and when installed in a classic herringbone pattern, it's a winning combination in my books! This feature is a "must have" on my list.
Subway tiles in a herringbone pattern...classic. Image source

A mix of duck egg blue, and classic white cabinetry. I'm not sure how we can incorporate it into our kitchen, but I'm sure as heck going to try! Love the fireplace detail surrounding the freestanding cooker as well (you'll notice that as a common theme with all of these photos).
Hamptons style kitchen featuring duck egg blue island; image source

I love the detail underneath this island bench...simple grooved panels that create loads of impact. We already own stools almost identical to the ones featured in this image...looks like we're on the right track!
Damn you Sarah Richardson, your impeccable taste, and your ability to introduce words like "corbels" into my vernacular. Corbels! I mention words like this and hubby glazes over. He doesn't care as long as the kitchen is functional. I, on the other hand, must have corbels at the end of the bench...with a built in cupboard to house the kids school bags (that's as close to a mud room as we'll get).
This kitchen is so light and airy...partly because of the large by window, but also because of the pendant lights and pale coloured features throughout.  Question...do you really think that slate floor tiles have seen their day, because this floor looks so gorgeous! Replacing the timber floors throughout our house with tiles is on the list, but do we go for slate, a modern oversized tile in a neutral colour, or perhaps the new "timber look" tiles that are now on the market?
So there we have it...the must haves of our new kitchen...
  • storage, storage, storage
  • white subway tile in a herringbone pattern
  • corbels
  • white cabinetry with black handles
  • butlers/belfast sink
  • pendant lights
  • free standing oven, with detail above
  • tiled floor
Hopefully we can turn these dreams into reality soon, I may need to find a second job to pay for it all!!  If you could redesign your kitchen, what would you include?

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...