Tuesday, August 13, 2013

20 questions with Straight and Narrow

Straight and Narrow
So, once in a while I love to step away from my regular blogging program and write some a little more random, just like Karla from Straight and Narrow. It's fun to learn about the person behind the blog, so I thought I'd play along too!

1. Grab the nearest book, turn to page 13 and read line 5?
Ok, so I don't have a book near me...will a magazine do? "Sources close to the model confirm the couple married under a cloud of secrecy, with close friends and family in attendance." - OK, issue 369.

2. What did you last watch on TV?
Jane by Design, which I taped last week. Loving this series! It's about a high school student named Jane (obviously), who applies for an internship at fashion house Donovan Decker. They mistake her for an adult, and she winds up as the executive assistant to demanding boss Gray (Andie MacDowell) instead. Jane spends her time flitting between high school and work...trying to keep her double life a secret. There's teen angst, betrayal, rivalry, cute boys, and fashion. What more do you want?
3. Did you dream last night?
Ok, this is a bit of a weird one, and if anyone wants to interpret...feel free. I was getting married to Kevin Rudd's son, but before Kev would let me join the family, I had to help him with an autopsy (he was a medical examiner, not a politician...of course). I needed to type up the report, but one of the sister's in law had saved over the top of the template with nonsense, and I couldn't finish it properly. He gave me permission anyway because I was able to cling wrap the body properly (weird!). We married, but the sister's in law were bitches and always ignored me. After Kevin and his wife (not Therese, some random blonde) returned from their trip to Mexico, my "husband" announced that we were expecting a baby. Everyone ran over to congratulate him, but ignored me completely...even when I declared we were 5 months along. My husband gave me a kiss, but as always, we were never face to face...we were sitting side by side...completely awkward. What do you suppose this means?

4. If you could live any where, where would it be?
Hmmm...tough question. If I had my way, I'd still be living at my family home...the place I grew up in. It was just a small, three bedroom home, but it was big enough. My Dad put so much time and love into that home. He even created two-storey bedrooms for both my sister and I, with a bed upstairs, and a little sitting area below. It was the perfect teenager's room. There was a great back yard, and a pool that overlooked the national park. I could stand on that back deck and stare out over the valley for hours. So very peaceful. My parents sold that home late last year, and have moved closer to me...which I love...though, I will always miss that little house located in the quiet cul-de-sac, overlooking the valley.
5. Do you like to dance?
I really do love to dance! There's nothing better than putting on a good tune, and dancing around the house like a fool. I haven't been to a nightclub or similar for a long time because I've been so self conscious about all of my bits wobbling around while I attempt to bust a move. I really must rectify that...it's on my 40 x 40 list!

6. Last thing you bought that made you feel good and jump for joy?
This is going to sound very shallow...it's a cushion cover! Not just any cushion cover...it's a Pony Rider X cushion cover in peach. The black version was used by Trixie and Johnno on The Block this season, and I've been coveting it ever since. Love it!

7. Do you own a tattoo?
Yes, yes I do! So far I have one. It's located on my inner left wrist, and says "s&e"...a tribute to my beautiful babies, Seth and Emeline. It's written in CK Love Notes font. I just love the way the letters link together. Eme always says the big "E" in the middle is for her, but it's actually a stylised "&" symbol. I'm planning a few more...I know what I want; just need to figure out the placement. They are addictive!
I will be getting inked again on 10 September 2013 (World Suicide Prevention Day). It's a visual representation for the To Write Love On Her Arms movement. Each year I write the word "love" on my arm in honour of those affected by depression, mental illness, addiction, self-harm, suicide, and eating disorders. It's a reminder that someone loves you, and to love yourself. This year, I'm making it permanent! This tattoo will be for me (representing my battle with depression), and for a special friend who's husband took his life last year...ironically on World Suicide Prevention Day. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about that at the time. My heart still aches for her, and their boys.

8. Which store could you max out your credit card in 30mins?
Definitely Hard to Find. Seriously, if you want it, chances are they have it! I absolutely drool over their inspiring daily emails.

9. Do you own a pet?
At the moment we have two...Marley Hindmarsh Warren, the seriously scruffy mutt, and Numbnuts the Galah (we're bird-sitting). Both are adorable, but drive me crazy. Marley loves to sleep in the garden during the day, and his fur is currently filled with all manner of foliage. He seriously needs a trim! Once the weather is a little warmer, he'll have a date with the clippers. In the meantime, I'll just have to hose myself down after cuddles. Numbnuts on the other hand, loves a good scratch just above his beak. If I'm standing next to his cage, he'll position himself right next to me, in hopes of a scratch. If I move, he moves. lol. He also purrs...it must feel good!

10. Have you ever won a trophy?
Yes! Back in my sporty childhood, I received trophies for netball, ribbons for ballet, and other awards. This was when you actually had to earn it...not just turn up during the year. The closest we got to "participation" trophies was a patch you'd sew on your netball skirt to indicate what team you played for during the year. Nowadays, everyone gets a trophy! Everyone gets a prize in the pass the parcel. It does my head in! It teaches children nothing about working hard, because they're rewarded regardless.

11. Can you close your eyes and raise your eyebrows?
Challenge accepted!
12. What inspires you daily?
A tight deadline! I do my best work under pressure.

13. What is under your bed?
A colony of fluff bunnies...and they're breeding at a rapid rate. Our bed is really low to the ground, so the vacuum doesn't fit underneath it...we have to lift up the bed completely!

14. How far away do you live from your birth place?
Not that far at all...about an hour's drive. Though...you can take the girl out of the Shire, but you can't take the Shire out of the girl!

15. What kinds of books do you read?
I'm a big fan of true crime, and anything written by Nicholas Sparks, and Janet Evanovich.

16. Favourite time of day?
Late at night, when the house is quiet, the kids and dog have been put to bed.

17. Seen anything weird lately, that made you need to pinch yourself?
It's been ages since I have actually seen something that made me turn and say "what the!". Either life is really boring, or nothing really phases me these days. A few years ago, we were waiting at the lights to change. Just as they went green, this car came flying through and hit the car in front of us...then they kept going, turned left up the wrong side of the road...jumping out of it as it came to a stop. It just so happened there was a police car right there, so they jumped out and chased after them on foot. Crazy! Luckily the driver in front of us wasn't injured. We kept thinking, if that had happened a few seconds later, it would have been our car that was hit. Lucky.

18. What do you do when you get bored?
Eat, nap, or fool around on the internet!

19. What car do you drive?
I drive a little silver Suzuki Swift we've named Taylor. She's a great little car...only 7 months old. There's not a whole lot of space going on in there, especially in the boot, but it gets excellent mileage, and is incredibly comfortable.

20. What is your most treasured possession (can’t be partner, offspring, family or pets)?
I have a dinner plate hanging in our bedroom, which used to belong to my great grandmother. It's not an expensive plate, just a mass produced willow pattern. I love it. It's the only thing I have to remind me of her.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the prompts Karla! Head on over to Straight and Narrow to read more...

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...