Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 22 of 30

Day 22 – A letter to someone who has hurt you recently

An open letter...

I've been dreading this one. Its really not my style to air my dirty laundry in public too often, and no one has hurt me THAT much that I would want to write a letter to them here.

Just like everyone else, I do have disagreements with people, and can be hurt by words. I have experienced it many many times, and those in the scrapbooking world know all too well how bitchy it can be. Its just paper and glue and wanting to share memories. That's it.

We should all be way more supportive of each other. Its the competitiveness in us to be recognised, to be appointed to design teams, to have the newest product or the newest technique that causes jealousies and bitchiness.  I too love to be praised for my work and I love working on design teams, don't get me wrong, but perhaps when our mothers said "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all", we should have listened to her advice.

I love scrapbooking. I love the creative outlet, the product, the colours, the fun, the friendships... everything... except for the negativity and criticism that some people feel necessary to impart.

Try to find the good in people's work, even if its their colour choices, or their heartfelt journaling. Remember that its all subjective. It would be a truly boring craft if we all scrapbooked the same. Don't be disheartened if you don't get a layout picked up for publication, or don't make that design team.

Most importantly, remember why you started scrapbooking in the first place.  FOR YOU!

Regards,
Lisa Warren

scrapbooker. blogger. peace out.

Thirty days of meme - full list

7 comments:

Alia said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts. Your positive attitude and supportive nature is surely appreciated by all! Your words today are warming... :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing and I agree totally. Scrapbooking is totally subjective and personal.

Kirsty said...

Beautifully said :)
I have slowed right down on my 30 days cause this prompt was coming up lol

Georgina said...

Congratulations! I hope that someone not only reads your post, but hears what you are saying. Sadly, all too often people that say something in haste, never realise how much they have hurt or upset others. Good luck!

Alex Hughes said...

Here, here my dear girl. I hear you big time. I have been through some s#$%@ recently for, I believe, the very same reasons Lisa. It hurts and stings and I don't quite understand it.

But I too am in this game only to share my memories, enjoy the friendships, share what I have learnt and have fun playing with the products. But mainly to 'preserve my memories'. It's a shame bitchiness and jealousy has to overtake some people.

But high five to you my girl for addressing it and pointing out that it really is just paper and glue. That's it.

Love your work sweety, keep on scrappin'.

Hayles said...

So well said Lisa! As you well know I have also experienced the same type of thing, and truly do not understand the need for it! At the end of the day we scrap for our own pure enjoyment not for the acceptance from others but somewhere along the way, unfortunately, there are people who have forgotten this....hope you keep your chin up and thanks for sharing....

Kerryn said...

Thanks for the positive words, I should have read this a few days ago!!

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...