Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Congratulations Kate! You have my sympathy...and my tips for surviving morning sickness

This morning I woke to the fabulous news that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their first baby! I will admit...I shed a little tear of joy...and of sympathy.

News that Kate has been admitted to hospital, suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum, brought back horrible memories from my own pregnancies...and it's the number one reason why I will never try for a third child.  There was no hiding my pregnancies until the "safe" 12 week mark either, as I was so dreadfully ill early on.

So what is hyperemesis gravidarum?
Hyperemesis gravidarum is a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnancy that is different from the more common nausea and vomiting known as morning sickness. Dehydration, malnutrition, and other serious complications are the result of the "unrelenting, excessive pregnancy-related nausea and/or vomiting that prevents adequate intake of food and fluids".
My first pregnancy was awful. I had never felt so sick in my entire life. Just standing up would be enough to make me vomit. The doctor thought I may have been having twins, however an early ultrasound showed just one little bean.  Dehydrated, and unable to keep anything down, I was sent to hospital, placed on a drip, and given anti-nausea medication. I spent weeks 9-16 of my pregnancy in bed, or lying on the lounge. After then, I still felt nauseous, but I was able to get on with living and enjoying my burgeoning bump. Towards the very end, the vomiting recommenced, continuing right through labour.

I thought the second pregnancy would be better...but no...it was worse! Once again, I was on bed rest for just over seven weeks...however this time, the vomiting and nausea continued for 34 weeks without respite!  I ended up having 8 fillings afterwards, as all of the vomiting had striped the enamel from my teeth.

Miraculously, as soon as both my babies were born, I felt better! Pregnancy sure does strange things to your system.

So how do you cope when you're that sick?
  • You try every morning sickness remedy known to man and then some.
  • You wake up each day, and eat something before you even attempt to sit up.
  • You carry a sick bag wherever you go...and perhaps a change of underwear (just in case).
  • You learn where every public toilet from Wollongong to Sydney is located.
  • You sip on dry ginger ale and suck lemonade ice blocks.
  • You treat it like a hangover, and get a nice greasy lining in your stomach...thank you McDonald's breakfast!
Oh dear Kate...I hope you're feeling better soon, and are able to enjoy your pregnancy. I'll be watching your growing bump with interest. I can see a whole new take on maternity fashion thanks to you!

Did you suffer from extreme morning sickness? How did you cope?

ps. Can you believe they're taking bets on the royal baby's name already?!  I'm predicting a girl...Diana Elizabeth.

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...