Wednesday, October 31, 2012

It's time to have your skin checked...

I have fair skin. The type that burns very easily. I am also covered in freckles and moles. I have ignored them for too long...such a stupid mentality considering the really scary melanomas my Dad has had removed from his back and head.

A few months ago, a friend commented on a mole on my upper back. She was concerned about me and thought I should have it checked.  I still didn't make an appointment.

Then, about a month ago, I noticed a dark brown mole/freckle on my lower back. I'd never seen it before, and it really stood out as something I should have checked.

Today, was my appointment at the local skin cancer clinic...what I thought would be a routine check. The doctor scanned my body, advising that all of my freckles and moles were fine (even the one my friend was worried about), however I should remain vigilant and see a doctor straight away if anything changes.  I then showed him the dark spot.

My routine check up ended with me laying face down on the doctor's bed, and having the spot surgically removed...
OMGosh it hurt!! Two stitches...not too big, but wow. I was shaken. Is it a melanoma? Have I been ignoring it too long?  Now the waiting game for my biopsy results begins.

Don't be a fool like me. Make an appointment to have your skin checked...before you regret it!
When should I have my skin spots checked?
When you have a:
  • new spot that is different from other spots around it
  • spot, mole or unusual freckle that has changed in shape, size or colour
  • sore that doesn't heal
  • skin spot that you are worried about.
    - via Cancer Council website

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...