Monday, May 9, 2011

Discover | The Blogger's Manifesto

I have been blogging for over four years now and I think I've seen it all. The online bitchiness and "smacking" by anonymous bloggers, the stealing of work, be it images and/or text, and the failure to credit work back to the originator. Even recently, a scrapbooker attended a class taught by me, then entered the layout in a local show and won first prize!! No credit was given to me whatsoever, and the work was copied step by step from an original layout created by me...exact product, exact placement, everything.  It was outright theft of work and I was incredibly peeved to say the least that she had been rewarded for "her" creative effort.  I distinctly remember teaching this woman because I had to readjust her photos as she had stuck them on upside down!  A worthy winner? I think not.

More recently I have been moving into the promotional/advertising side of blogging, and I fully intend to disclose when and where I have received remuneration in the form of products, services or money. Why? Because its fair and ethical.

Enter...the Blogger's Manifesto!  This manifesto has made me incredibly happy. I love the core values listed in the Blogger's Manifesto, and I love that its written in plain language that we can all understand...no legal mumbo jumbo.

"The Blogger’s Manifesto outlines the core values to implement for Best Blogging Practices.
By following and applying these values in your own blog, you are helping us build a nation of bloggers committed to being the best and most honourable bloggers that they can be."


The Blogger's Manifesto is the initiative of Digital Parents Australia. Full credit is given to Brenda, Liz G, Claire, Tina G, and Liss K for their fantastic effort in putting this document together...and more importantly, for caring enough to draft it in the first place. Thank you!

So, what can you do?  Are you committed to being the best blogger you can be?  Show your support and commitment by signing the Honour Roll, and grabbing a badge to proudly display on your own blog.

Blogger's Manifesto
Cheers, Lis.

Disclaimer: This is not a paid advertisement, I just think it rocks!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Thanks Lisa for helping us spread the message!x

Chloe said...

Awesome message!!!

Tina ~ tina gray {dot} me said...

Totally sucks that someone ripped off your work. Had it happen to me on my blog so I know exactly how you feel. Thanks for helping to spread the word, Lis! xx

MummyK said...

Rock on! Thanks for this entry!! Crossing fingers bloggers take this seriously.

Becky said...

Love the manifesto, I signed up yesterday.

Jodi Dolbel said...

Love this concept Lisa!!! Really worth considering for all bloggers! So sorry that happened with your class, how she can even live with herself! Not only is it THEFT, but also FRAUD to enter a competition passing off an item as being her own design and concept!
I think i might support this movement myself!

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...