Tuesday, September 10, 2013

To write love on her arms...permanently

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day.
Sadly, today is also the first anniversary of when my dear friend became a widow.
Her husband took his life because he thought it was the only way out.
My heart aches for her and their two boys.
...and for every other person affected by suicide.

I have suffered from depression for a number of years.
Anti depressants are currently an every day part of my life.
I hope that this isn't a "forever" thing, but for now, it is what it is.
Without them, I am not myself.
I'm glad that I recognise that.

For the past few years, I have been writing "love" on my arm in support of the "To Write Love On Her Arms" movement (#TWLOHA). This year, in honour of my friend, I decided to make it permanent.
This tattoo represents my own battle with depression, and to remind me to love myself. To talk about my issues, instead of burying them. To not become another statistic of the black dog. To not break the heart of my family, the way my friend's was.  The word "love" is in my own hand writing, and Sue did a fabulous job inking it in.  So, why the paper plane? I feel like it's me sending my love out to whoever needs it...and you know, for my love of all things paper and origami. It's a personal thing, and that's the beauty of tattoos.
Just for a little fun, I had another two tattoos done...a small love heart behind my left ear...
 ...and a little moustache on my finger.
Thursday, 12 September 2013 is also R U OK Day...a national day of action which aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone they care about and help stop little problems turning into big ones.  This is one day that I fully support with all my heart.
People that suffer from depression display many symptoms...do you recognise any of these signs?
  • Lowered self-esteem
  • Change in sleep patterns
  • Change in mood control
  • Varying emotions throughout the day
  • Change in appetite and weight
  • Reduced ability to enjoy things
  • Reduced ability to tolerate pain
  • Reduced sex drive
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Impaired concentration and memory
  • Loss of motivation and drive
  • Increase in fatigue
  • Change in movement Being out of touch with reality 
Do you need help? Please contact your local gp, speak to someone you trust or one of the agencies listed here.

Sending love to you all...

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...