Saturday, April 4, 2009

SIA - tears and triumphs...

This year, I was representing Scrapware at the Scrapbook Industry of Australia tradeshow. Scrapware's release was totally gorgeous! I'm so thrilled I got to be a part of it. Not only that, my designs were released too...so excited! Here's some pics...check out our display...all of those pink frames contain our new designs.Here's Ange, Kim and I...
Here we are teaching our make and takes and the totally cute name badges I made us using the new funky birds, as well as my friend Sandra working the Bella stand...Kim and I at the Awards dinner, my designs, and my friend Sar who is the new, very proud owner of Scrapbook Savvy!Here's a close up of my designs...I'm so proud of myself for taking a leap of faith. I have a lot of ideas running through my head, and some that are currently being digitised and cut...so watch out for Lisa Warren Designs for Scrapware at a scrapbook store near you soon! This release features a cute little peacock that would sit perfectly on the corner of your photo, my trees, flourishes, feathers and puzzle journaling pieces (the centre of which pops out so you can insert a photo).
Here's the run down of events...grab a chair because this is lengthy...then you'll understand why I haven't updated my blog before now! lol.

MONDAY

Sandra and I had a great morning together...taking it easy driving up to visit Scraploot, then lunch at Rhodes and finally on to the State Sports Centre at Homebush to set up the stalls. Kim picked Ange up at the airport and met us there. Poor Ange had been in hospital that morning with back spasms...they told her it was just muscular and she'd be ok, so she flew to Sydney. It was obvious she was not well, but being the trooper she is, she persevered and the stall looked beautiful! Monday night after we'd finished setting up, we went for dinner at the brewery downstairs from the Ibis, then headed up to bed. As Ange's back was sore and Kim is 6ft tall, I took the trundle, which was like a cot (lol). We discovered around 9pm that the air conditioning wasn't working, so we asked for maintenance to come up. Unfortunately, the technician couldn't fix it, so we requested a new room...now the story turns a little Goldilocks and the three bears...the next room was full of smoke; room no. 3 had no air conditioning either; room no. 4 was also full of smoke; and room no. 5 was just right! lol. We unpacked and settled in for the night. At some stage during the night, Kim got up and when she returned to her bed, she tripped over, nearly broke her toe and fell on top of me! lol!

TUESDAY
Its raining. Ange's condition was deteriorating rapidly, so she did the fastest shuffle she could into the centre. The doors opened at 9am and its on. At first it was quiet because most people went off to classes, but it quickly started to pick up once everyone saw how gorgeous our make and takes were...door hangers...stop/keep out for boys and birdhouse and flowers for girls...totally usable and adorable. The feedback we received from everyone was really positive and exciting. Ange went to see the sports doctor and he diagnosed a prolapsed disc or ruptured disc! Not quite the "muscular" issue the hospital in Melbourne thought it was. The dr prescribed a whole different range of painkillers and sent her back to us. She spent the rest of the day lying down in the first aid room and Kim and I looked after the stand. It was busy, busy, busy!!

TUESDAY NIGHT
Ange wasn't well enough to attend the Awards dinner, so Kim and I pushed on. Dinner was okay and the company was good...excitement though when the fire alarms went off and the firemen came into the room! I don't think they knew what hit them!! A room full of cackling, scrapbooking woman bearing cameras!! lol. We got back to the room around 11ish, chatted for a while, then went to sleep. At 1.20am, Ange woke us up to say she was in incredible pain...she couldn't even get out of bed! We called an ambulance and they took her to Concord Hospital. Kim and I followed to make sure she was okay, then returned to the hotel. We went to sleep around 4am.

VERY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING
It is still raining. At 5am-ish the fire alarms went off in the hotel! At first I thought it was the alarm to wake me up, but it registered pretty quickly when it went to the "whoop" sound! I stuck my head out the door to see everyone else trying to figure out what to do. I quickly threw on a cardigan over my pyjamas, grabbed some shoes, and started down the stairs. I had makeup all over my face and terrible hair. The hotel was fully booked out too - The Who had a concert on that night and there were people everywhere!! So embarrassing - in my jammies in the pouring rain. The fire brigade gave the hotel the all clear, so we headed back up. We dropped back off to sleep, then the alarm went off again! Unbelievable!!! Kim asked that I leave her there to burn...we were so tired. Thankfully the alarm stopped and we could go back to sleep (so far the sleep total was about 2 hours for the night). Not one hour later, Ange rang from the hospital to say she was being discharged. We begged for an extra hour's sleep, then we'd pick her up.

LATER WEDNESDAY MORNING
Breakfast at the hotel, then we headed off to pick up Ange. The poor chicken had been thrown out of her bed and was waiting for us in the emergency room. She still couldn't walk properly and lord knows what medications they had her on. We dropped her back at the hotel, then headed off to the tradeshow. The show was really busy and people were lining up to do the make and takes. Sales were going really well too! Kim picked up Ange from the hotel at 1.30pm and brought her back to the show. By now, she was in a wheelchair and in immense pain. I still can't believe that the hospital discharged her!! It makes me cranky just thinking about it. The poor chook was sick too, then spent rest of the day in the first aid room again. By this stage, we were all exhausted! The show wrapped up, we started packing and checked on Ange, who was really, really unwell. We called another ambulance and demanded they take her to a different hospital...so off to RPA it was. Sandra and some of the volunteers packed up the rest of the stand and I am eternally grateful! I can't believe how many people were willing to drop everything to help us out...special thanks to Sandra, Sally, Lorraine, Kelly, Allison, Heidi and the volunteers (sorry I can't remember your names). I rang Ange's hubby to let him know, then we headed off to the hospital...the doctors at RPA were fantastic. They were treating Ange so well and she was very well medicated by the time we got there...although she did have a reaction to the morphine...but what do you expect after 3 days from hell. lol. Kim and I drove home in the fog and rain and got home about 10.30pm. It was such a long day! You'll all be happy to know that Ange has made it back to Melbourne now and is slowly getting back on her feet.

So, after reading all of that, I think you deserve a prize!!
To celebrate the fact that Scrapware had a great show despite the setbacks, I am having a giveaway! I have a sample pack of all the new release items valued at $80 to giveaway to one lucky blog reader!! Leave a comment on this post and let me know how use chipboard on your layouts...I will draw the winner next Friday (10 April).

Cheers, Lis.
ps. Wendy and Laura...I'll be sending your goodies from the previous giveaway this week.

30 comments:

Robyn W said...

I am so happy for your new adventure Lisa, cant wait to see the new stuff irl.....you girls certainly had a huge coupla days...rest up now wontcha

Anonymous said...

OMGosh Lisa what a few drama filled days!!! Sounds exhausting!! HUGE congrats on your own designs - HOW exciting!!! I cant wait to get my hands on some!
I use chipboard on my layouts for lots of different things - but i pretty much use it on EVERY layout!
I have to say i LOVE that peacock too - I LOVE peacocks and that is just too cute!!!!

BabyBokChoy said...

Oh my goodness, congratulations! This is a serious triumph to have your OWN designs, and they are amazing!!! Will they sell those in the U.S.? That peacock, i want it!! And those trees, oh my goodness, just too awesome!!! Congrats, huge congrats!!!!

Sar said...

Hey babe, thanks for the shout out. Can't believe the ordeal you guys had! You should've seen how excited Alicia was with the sample pack I gave her....it was a big hit! No surprise there, really! Hehe!

Cheers,
Sar

Anonymous said...

No wonder you are tired! It reads a bit like a movie plot, one of those ones where you think "this would never happen in real life". No wonder you're keen for the extra hour sleep. Love the chipboard. the feathers are my favourite. Congratulations to you. Lynne D.

Leanne said...

Oh my Lisa, what a jam packed few days for you. Adventure/drama filled is certainly an understatement.
I am so loving your designs, they are fabulous and totally rock. Will certainly be wanting some of those, especially those divine trees.
Congratulations Lisa, looking forward to seeing your next range of designs.......

Leanne

Tam said...

OMG no wonder you are exhausted!
How thrilling to have your own designs!! I want that peacock...its gorgeous!

Cass said...

Love the peacock. And the trees. And the rest! I've been inspired by Kim to buy some mists and now I need some new chipboard to try them out on! :)

~Kathryn~ said...

congrats on your products LIsa
that is so awesome - wishing you every success.
I hope your friend Ange is on the mend now

Sares said...

I'm so happy to see you have dived into the designing part of scrapping - well done you! I'm sorry to say that I was at SIA too but I must have missed you somewhere in the stands - bummer:( I would have loved to meet you in person. Oh well there's always next year!
Sares x

Karen.S said...

Sounds like there wasn't a moments rest all weekend!!! Love the chipboard, gotta say my fav is the swirls - just gorgeous!!!
Cheers, Karen S...

Anthea said...

The new designs look fantastic. I cant wait to get my hands on some =) I have started to pull my glimmer mists and H20s out again, I can see then all over your chipboard!!

Rachael Griffin said...

That is crazy few days Lisa, I thought we were the only 1's who requested new rooms if the A/C isn't working.
Love your new designs, I use chipboard as an embelishment on most of my layouts and of course I love CB letters.
We will have to catch up soon, let me know if you have a spare day this week for lunch.

Charleegirl said...

Oh Lisa. I dont even know who Ange is but I am feeling her pain. The poor girl... and after reading all of your adventures, I wouldnt even know where to start on using chipboard on my LO's LOL!!! But I do have some gorgeous new Scrapware pieces I am sure to use in the near future from Miss Sarah.... Very excited to get a pressie from SIA.... BUT....Whats with all the fire alarms???? You girls must have attracted those firies... they just wanted to keep coming back for more!!!! LOVE your new designs by the way.... Alicia

Louisa said...

Lisa, your new designs are amazing and I can't wait for them to arrive. Both you and Kim did a Wonderful job looking after the stand, Ange and all of the retailers at the show. Three CHEERS to you both!!

Cheyne said...

Love your new designs, Lisa. You must be thrilled. My favourite is the feathers & the trees! I would use them on my zoo/animal pages. Thankyou!

Shelly said...

Lisa- you and Kim deserve a huge rest now I think!!!Your designs are stunning, and I would love to try a tree! I use chipboard on lots of layouts and cards. Congrats on your designs!

Anonymous said...

What a couple of days, you won't forget them in a hurry, But I still laugh at the thought of the two of you in the room, Glad Ange is on her way to getting better. I would live to use chipboard haven't used it much, would like to see what I could do with it.

JOde

Cherrytree said...

I'm new to chipboard, but I love the look of the puzzle piece journalling blocks. They will definitely be making their way onto my layouts

Lori Mancini said...

Yeah Lisa....I am so happy for you and your new adventure!! I am in love with your new designs...FAB-U-LOUS Girl!!! Yahoo..I so wish we could bet these products in Canada....can I twist your arm and you can hook me up LOL!! So sorry your time at the show wasn't the greatest - I can so relate to the back pain...I couldn't imagine how awful she must have felt...but how lucky she was to have friends like you there. Sorry I haven't been posting much but have been crazy myself...love all of the work your doing lately...your becoming my scrap idol LOL!!! Talk soon!

nerllybird said...

Good grief! I don't know what to say to all that, really, except that maybe all those rooms filled with smoke were a sign, lol! So sorry to hear about your friend's back, she must have had a miserable time. But it must have been SOOO exciting for you, congrats on your achievements!
As for the chipboard, I tend to end up using it at the end, when I can see where I need some dimension. Unless it's a bit more inspiring, like an ornate frame or those yummy jigsaw pieces - then it's in there at the planning stage!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa
Its great that all is ok with Ange and that you guys had such a cool adventure :)

Na xx

Renee Dowling said...

OMG Lisa , How cool your own chippe designs!!!! These are just gorgeous, - o.k so I love to use distress inkl on my chipboard you can create some beautiful soft colours and also build them up as you go - not to mention it is a nice and easy way to fit them to any peice!
WTG!
Reneexx

Unknown said...

Love your designs....

Siobhan said...

Lisa,
I have been reading your blog for a while now but do not usually comment. I can't believe the week you had, I hope that you got lots of sleep to catch up.
I use chipboard to accent my page, sometimes I cover it with paper, paint it or just leave it as it is. I do not use it all that often but when I do I wonder why I do not use it more often.
I love your designs, especially the peacock. I would put that on the top corner of a photo I think.
Have a great easter.
Siobhan

Anonymous said...

What an adventure! Definitely SIA to remember. I love your puzzle journaling blocks. Got that one but haven't used it yet. Looking forward to see more of your designs.

Miss cath said...

Sounds like a show you won't forget!

Love the new range of chipboard. How do I use it? Any way I can! Inked, painted, raw, papered. ATM I seem to be focused on glitter and flocking.

Judith said...

Sounds like you had a full on few days. Love your new designs.

Unknown said...

You are one busy chickie!! Sounds like your trip, though eventful, was one to remember B-) Congrats on your designs....they are incredible!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lis, Love your work!!! Saw your pics (and others) of you at SIA, looks like you guys had loads of fun. OMG I wish I was there... thgey really should open to the public 1 day in the event... could you imagine the people ??? They'd be going crazy!!!! keep up the great work, see ya round the shop...We need to do lunch again lets tee it up with Kim and aunty Jo :)
Cheers Sam XX

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...